Monday, July 12, 2010

one person

I've been asked recently how do I keep going with all of Matthew's needs, William's needs, the dog, the house, myself when Ian is gone for extended periods of time. Well, in all honesty, it's not much of a difference in care when he is here.
Now that sounds bad actually. My husband does an astronomical amount of work around here, especially in helping with the house! I got one of the good ones I say. I cook - he cleans, I wash clothes - he folds them, I tidy the clutter - he vacuums the floor. See! Gotta a GOOD one! :)
He's also a huge help with the kids, both kids. If I need to go to the grocery store, he handles the fort. If I'm exhausted, moody (it happens monthly you know) or am driving to the hospital the next morning, Ian handles all of the night feedings and diaper changes. (He goes through THREE diapers at night people!) But during the day, the kids are on me. 99% of Matthew is on me too.
When you have a child that has specific things that need to be done, either specific measurements, specific times, specific methods...it's just easier when one person handles it all. When both of us are home on the weekend, it's never a halvsies situation. We've done that before and it's been an issue. I would bolus Matthew 30 mls and then Ian would come right behind me not 20 seconds later giving him another 30mils - and here comes the puke! Fortunately we have never done it, but I've known other parents to double up on medicine, unknowingly giving the same dose twice. But we have been late giving medicines before - thinking the other one had done it. Now it is just set.
It's a lot of responsibility for one person, but even more for two people. Ian knows how to do it all if I am gone for whatever reason. He has no issues with it...though he is out of practice and if you are ever out with me to dinner or something - we WILL get interrupted by repeated phone calls. ;)
What does it mean to have Ian home. It means sanity (any mom of a 2 yr old and 4 yr old will tell you that!). It means companionship (gets mighty lonely when the boys are in bed and the house is quiet). It means camaraderie (taking turns who gets to wake up at 6:30am with Matthew or 8am with William). It means love (I think that one is pretty self explanatory). It means being able to vent and laugh, to clap and to be held, to worry with and to be reassured.
I miss him. Even for this short time...I miss him even when he is gone just for a weekend! But he has his duties and I have mine. I am mommy. It all comes with the territory, even the demands that weren't necessarily in the "What to Expect" books.
I'm just SO thankful this didn't happen when we were at hemo three times a week! Whew!

No comments:

Swidget 1.0