Monday, August 10, 2009

Siblings

One of my dear friends just found out she is pregnant. I'm SO excited for her! Her son, who I haven't seen in almost two years and MISS, is such a sweetheart and I know he'll make an awesome big brother. Her happy news made me flash back to the first few months of bringing my baby number two home. Man, I really do miss those baby snuggles. Just WHO said my babies were to grow up SO fast?!?

Anyway, I remember when I first found out I was pregnant. I was much more nervous about this pregnancy than the first. Not about the actual pregnancy or delivery - I'd already lived through(and oddly enough) enjoyed both of those before. No, I was nervous about bringing another one HOME. I already had one there after all. I was used to that, comfortable, in a routine and loving it. Now I was going to change everything. Did we think through this enough honey...oh well...no turning back now!

And then a three months later life as we knew it was turned upside down. But I've already told that story.

So here's the story of us getting home and all things NON hospital. Just happy memories of our first few weeks at home together as a family. In Matthew's first 4 months at home - I think he was actually home only a month of it. Our first REAL time together was for one week in the beginning of August. I remember it so clearly, despite the sleep deficiency induced fog. I remember waking up for the 5am feedings and snuggling on the couch with a sweet smelling baby. After Matthew would fall asleep on my chest for an hour, the big brother William came out and took his position laying on my legs and hip. We would all stay like that for half and hour of just snuggling...holding the two things that are the most precious to me and letting time stand still for just awhile. It is now a tradition that we carry out one year later after naptime. Because I paid attention to advice from my other mommy friends that told me to get them to nap at the same time. ;) When my children wake up, they are at their snuggliest and I take FULL advantage of it!

With all of the craziness and uncertainty of those first few months, I was blissful in the normal, day to day things. William is such an amazing big brother. Whenever Matthew cries because of a dirty diaper, a dropped lovey, or the fact mommy is bringing out that $!@% blood pressure machine again - William is right there. Patting his little brother's head say "it's ok Matthew". He looks forward to and ask for every opportunity to hold his brother. (Which was much easier when little brother was just a ball of baby that laid still - now it's a wrestling match). When William walks into the room, Matthew's face lights up. William's "job" is to make Matthew laugh, Matthew's "job" is to quit breathing because he is laughing so hard. Man, I love these boys!

I had heard SO many horror stories of bringing the second child home. I am happy to report that I do not have those same horror stories - I have MANY different ones. ;) But you have those stories whether you have one child or five...bad days happen. Luckily the good outweigh the bad - ten fold!

2 comments:

My Very Own Angel said...

Karen that is amazing. :) I love that William was such a good big brother, I think I knew how Vashon was going to be had we brought Vayden home, lol. I mean he is the same child that pulled a dog off my lap and said my mommy, lmao

I love you because with all the madness in your world, you can focus your mind on the things that are so simple, so small, yet so sweet.

- Steph

Randi Jo :) said...

awww thank you sooo much karen :) that was soo encouraging and so sweet to read. I loved it !:) THANK YOU! :) thanks for being so excited for me and being so positive. love you! :)

Swidget 1.0