Thursday, January 29, 2009

Where were you?

Got this from Liz's blog. Where were you?

1) John F. Kennedy was shot? (11/22/1963)

I was still in my mother's ovaries.

2) Mt. St. Helens exploded? (5/18/1980)

Just learning to crawl...no real memory of this. ;)

3) The Challenger exploded? (1/28/1986)

I was in 1st grade and remember how upset the teachers were, but I don't think I really understood what was going on. I just remember the reactions from others.

4) The 7.1 earthquake hit San Francisco? (10/07/1989)

I was at home watching the San Francisco Giants play (either the playoffs or world series??) with my dad...saw it happen. I still can picture the crack in the stadium.

5) The Berlin Wall Fell? (11/07/1989)

5th grade, Mrs Ward-Bogle's class...we talked it about a LOT for the whole week.

6) The Gulf War began? (01/16/1991)

6th grade. I wrote a book of patriot poems for young author's fair and won honorable mention in the county.

7) OJ Simpson was chased in his White Bronco? (06/17/1994)

We were on vacation to Destin Fl for some beach fun. I was almost 15 and didn't give a crap about O.J. at the time.

8) The Afred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City was bombed? (04/19/1995)

This happened during my sophmore year, I was at dance/color guard tryout and didn't know it happened until my boyfriend came and got me after practice.

9) Princess Di was killed? (08/31/1997)

I was at Callaway Gardens with my parents, grandparents and my friend Janet. We were up late playing Scattegories and Taboo. We heard when it first happened and thought it was a mistake. I was starting my freshman year of college the next week.

10) Bush was first announced president? (11/07/2000)

I went to bed after it was "first" announced. This was the first presidential election I had voted in so I was excited. I decided to never move to Florida.

11) Terrorists destroyed the WTC? (09/11/2001)

I was in my vertebrate zoology class when it actually happened, but then crossed campus to start my shift at the Teacher Resource and Activity Center in Kennesaw Hall. Everyone had the radio on. I had an hour before my shift started, so I along with some friends ran over to the student center to watch it on tv. We watched as the towers crumbled and many people were crying. The college shut down at noon, as did most campuses in and near Atlanta. The CDC was considered a prime target and most people in that area were evacuated! Ian was at University of West Fla in his marine bio program and I missed him so much that day...and many days after.

12) Columbia disintegrated during re-entry over Texas? (02/01/2003)

I remember feeling SO sad about this. Didn't help that I was an emotional mess! Ian and I had just gotten married 4.5 weeks before and he was leaving in 1.5 weeks to go to bootcamp! I talked about the physics of the explosion in my physical science class that I taught at Cherokee High...the kids really wanted to talk about it.

Where were you? Make your own post to tell where you were.

No comments:

Swidget 1.0